Libelium Waspmote RS-485 / Modbus + DB9 cable
Waspmote is an open source wireless sensor platform especially focused on the implementation of low consumption modes which allows the sensor nodes ("motes") to be completely autonomous, that is battery powered. The lifetime of Waspmote sensor nodes may go from 1 to 5 years depending on the duty cycle and the radio used.
RS-485 is the most versatile communication standard. The RS-485 standard defines the electrical characteristics of drivers and receivers for use in digital systems. The standard is published by the Telecommunications Industry Association/Electronic Industries Alliance (TIA/EIA). RS-485 signals are used in a wide range of computer and automation systems and are used in programmable logic controllers and on factory floors. Since it is differential, it resists electromagnetic interference from motors and welding equipment. It may be used to control video surveillance systems or to interconnect security control panels and devices such as access control card readers. It does not specify or recommend any communications protocol. In the next table, the electrical characteristics of the standard are defined.
The RS-485 module for Arduino and Raspberry allows users to perform industrial and domotic applications. The RS-485 is the most versatile communication standard in the standard. This a standard defining the electrical characteristics of drivers and receivers for use in digital systems. It does not specify or recommend any communications protocol. In the next table the electrical characteristics of the standard are defined.
You will need batteries to use Waspmote as an autonomous device.
This pack includes:
- Waspmote board
- RS-485 Module
- DB9 Cable
- miniUSB cable
|Physical Media||Twisted pair|
|Network Topology||Point-to-point, Multi-dropped, Multi-point|
|Maximum Devices||32 drivers or receivers|
|Voltage Levels||-7V to +12V|
|Mark(1)||Positive Voltages (B-A > +200mV)|
|Space(0)||Negative voltages (B-A < -200mV)|
|Available Signals||Tx+/Rx+, Tx-/Rx-(Half Duplex)Tx+,Tx-,Rx+,Rx-(Full Duplex)|
- - Dial-up modems
- - GPS receivers (typically NMEA 0183 at 4,800 bit/s)
- - Barcode scanners and another point of sale devices
- - LED and LCD text displays
- - Satellite phones, low-speed satellite modems and other satellite-based transceiver devices
- - Flat-screen (LCD and plasma) monitors to control screen functions by external computer, other AV components or remotes
- - Test and measuring equipment such as digital multimeters and weighing systems
- - Updating firmware on various consumer devices
- - Some CNC controllers
- - Uninterruptible power supply
- - Stenography or Stenotype machines
- - Software debuggers that run on a 2nd computer
- - Industrial field buses
Note: This product includes the new generation Waspmote v1.5.
Waspmote Quick Tutorial
Waspmote Technical Guides
Sensor Boards Technical Guides
50 Applications with Waspmote
FAQ: Waspmote Vs. Arduino